Vegan Fig and Walnut Boursin


Vegan Fig and Walnut Boursin



Among the many new cheeses I tried while living in France, one of my favourites was fig and walnut boursin.  Ever since I was introduced to Boursin in 2008, I have had a bit of a penchant for it, and L and I survived on copious baguettes and Boursin whenever we were travelling around France in the past.  Luckily for me, this slightly sweet, very nutty, and rich cheese was a cinch to veganise, and hardly took any time to make.


I recommend soaking the cashews overnight, to get the creamiest possible consistency, but as long as you soak them for at least an hour in advance, this should work just fine.  You'll be the judge of the final amount of water needed here - just add it slowly until the Boursin reaches your preferred consistency.  Then, spread on some French bread, and enjoy!

I posted a recipe using the real thing here last year, so now you can veganise that delicious salad super easily.


Vegan Fig and Walnut Boursin


Total Time: 1 hour soaking, 5 minutes for the rest
Serves: makes about a cup of packed 'cheese'

1 cup of cashews (soaked for at least an hour, preferably overnight)
2 dried figs
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp olive oil
Salt, to taste
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
Water, as needed (approximately 1 tsp)

Blend the figs, cashews, olive oil, and nutritional yeast until completely smooth.  Blend in the water, a little at a time, until the mixture reaches your preferred consistency.  Stir through the chopped walnuts, and season to taste.

Comments