Vegan, Gluten-free Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Vegan, Gluten-free Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies



Peanut butter is one of my favourite foods - I spread it on Oreos, pour it on top of ice cream, and eat it with a spoon...in fact, I buy my peanut butter in 5kg (11 pound) tubs, because I go through so much of it!  

Cake, not cookies are normally my thing, but my brother is cookie obsessed, so a few weeks ago I compromised with him and made these for dessert.  These were very quick and easy, and delicious with a glass of creamy almond milk!  

If you make them larger, and quite flat, they'll end up crunchy, which my brother really liked.  If you leave them a little smaller and give them a bit more height, they'll be crunchy on the outside and chewy in the middle, which is definitely my preference.

These were so good that we finished them off, and I had to bake a second batch right away!  Good thing I had plenty of peanut butter in the cupboard...

Chewy cookies on the left, crunchy on the right.

Vegan, Gluten-free Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Serves: Makes 18 - 24 cookies
Total Time: 15 minutes

1 cup peanut butter
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup oat flour (or other gluten free flour)
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
Splash of unsweetened almond or other non-dairy milk
Chocolate buttons

Preheat the oven to 190C/375F.  Mix together the peanut butter, oil, sugar, and vanilla, then add the dry ingredients.  Add Almond milk until the batter is workable - I needed about a tablespoon.  The batter should be fairly firm, and not too sticky.  Roll into small balls, then press in your palm to the desired size (small in diameter and tall for chewy cookies, large and thin for crispy ones).  Place these on your baking sheet, and top with chocolate buttons.  If using chocolate chips, mix into the batter before rolling.

Bake for 7 - 10 minutes, until the edges being to turn golden brown.  Let these cool slightly before devouring!


Comments