Vegan Potato Salad with Radish and Smoked Tofu

Vegan Potato Salad with Radish and Smoked Tofu


Hooray!  Radishes are back in season!  I have been waiting all winter to make this delicious potato salad again...radishes give a crisp crunch that really rounds out this salad, and makes it perfect for picnics!


This is, hands down, the absolute best potato salad I have ever had.  It's so fresh and buttery and flavourful!  Potato salad can be so heavy, with ridiculously thick sauce that hides the flavour of the ingredients.  This one is light and refreshing, but also nice and filling.  I'm not usually a big potato fan, but if I could eat this every day, I definitely would.

Did I mention its super quick and easy?  And cheap?  Well, it is!

The only other thing I'll say is that I'm sorry for the photo - I forgot to take one at dinner, so this was taken at lunch at the office...I'm sure I'll be making it again very soon, so I'll try my best to remember to take another photo.  

Vegan Potato Salad with Radish and Smoked Tofu


Total Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4 - 6 as a meal

Ingredients:

20 new potatoes
3 cups (about 350 g) of radish, cut into thin rounds
1 large onion, chopped
1 block smoked tofu (200g or 7 oz), cut into 1/4 inch pieces
Fresh parsley or coriander/cilantro - a handful, or to taste
3 cups (225g) baby spinach
2 tsp dijon mustard
4 tsp olive oil, plus 1 tbsp for frying
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried sage
salt and pepper to taste

First, boil the potatoes until they are soft in the middle (about 8 minutes), then rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process, and set aside.  Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan over medium high heat, and fry the smoked tofu pieces until well browned and crispy on all sides, turning often to prevent burning (about 10 minutes).  

In a small bowl, combine the mustard, 4 tsp olive oil, basil and sage, and stir well to combine.  

When the tofu and onion are finished cooking, add all the ingredients, including the dressing, to a large  bowl and mix well.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

You can either serve this warm or cold - either way is delicious!

Comments